From 8 June 2019, it will be time to vote on our Post Settlement Governance Entity (PSGE).
A PSGE is the legal entity a claimant group must ratify (approve) and establish before settlement with the Crown can take place. The PSGE signs the Deed of Settlement (once it has been approved by iwi) and is then responsible for receiving, holding, and managing the settlement redress and any future assets.
Ngāti Rangitihi’s PSGE will be a new Trust that will receive and manage the historical Treaty settlement redress on behalf of our iwi.
Your approval on three resolutions
For our settlement journey to keep moving forward and as part of this upcoming ratification, we need your support and your vote on three resolutions:
Resolution 1: Agree that the proposed new Te Mana o Ngāti Rangitihi Trust will be the Post Settlement Governance Entity to receive and manage all of the historical Treaty of Waitangi settlement redress on behalf of Ngāti Rangitihi.
- This is to approve the new Te Mana PSGE. This is an important step. We need to set up a new Trust with a new Trust Deed, to be our PSGE. This will meet the Crown’s requirements and ensure that our settlement is protected for Ngāti Rangitihi uri.
Resolution 2: Authorise the transfer of the mandate to negotiate the settlement of the Ngāti Rangitihi historical Treaty of Waitangi claims from the existing Te Mana o Ngāti Rangitihi Trust to the new Te Mana o Ngāti Rangitihi Trust.
- The new Te Mana PSGE will also need to continue the settlement negotiations mahi on behalf of Ngāti Rangitihi. As part of the current voting process, you are being asked to approve this happening via resolution 2.
Resolution 3: Agree that the initial trustees of the new Te Mana o Ngāti Rangitihi Trust will be the current trustees of the existing Te Mana o Ngāti Rangitihi Trust.
- We believe it makes sense to keep the same trustees at this time, as it keeps things consistent and puts us in the best position to achieve a deed of settlement for you to vote on in the next 12 months. Our current trustees have detailed knowledge of the settlement and will ensure our future economic, social, and cultural development interests are included in the proposed settlement for Ngāti Rangitihi.
We strongly recommend you vote ‘YES’ to all three resolutions.
Ratification Information Pack
You will receive a Ratification Information Pack in the mail from 8 June onwards. This will include an Information Booklet with all the information you need to know to be able to vote, and your voting paper.
We will be holding a round of Information hui across Aotearoa. We encourage you to come along if you can and ask any questions you have. Our Matatā Information Hui will be livestreamed, so if you can’t make it to any of the hui, make sure you tune in to this one online.
Dates and locations for all hui are as below.
FIRST HUI – HAMILTON
Saturday 8 June 2019, 4pm – 6pm
Trust Waikato, 4 Little London Lane
SECOND HUI – ROTORUA
Sunday 16 June 2019, 3pm – 5pm
Novotel Lake End, Tutanakei St
THIRD HUI – WELLINGTON
Tuesday 18 June 2019, 6pm – 8pm
Travelodge, 2 – 6 Gilmer Terrace
FOURTH HUI – CHRISTCHURCH
Wednesday 19 June 2019, 6pm – 8pm
Airport Gateway Motor Lodge (Pohutakawa Room), 45 Roydvale Ave
FIFTH HUI – AUCKLAND
Thursday 20 June 2019, 6pm – 8pm
Mount Richmond Hotel (Brighton Room), 676 Mount Wellington Hwy
SIXTH HUI – MATATĀ (to be livestreamed as well)
Sunday 23 June 2019, 1pm – 3pm, Rangitihi Marae
- Voting opens – Saturday 8 June 2019
- Voting closes – 5pm, Monday 8 July
Voting will take place online, by post, or by Ballot Box at the Information Hui.
We are at a crucial part of our settlement journey and we are close to reaching a deed of settlement for your final vote in early 2020, so let’s keep moving forward.
Voting now on our new PSGE and initial trustees is your opportunity to get involved and have your say.
This settlement process is for your whānau, and for your mokopuna and their mokopuna to come.
Let’s all work together for a positive future for ngā uri o Ngāti Rangitihi.