Ko Rangiaohia te whare tupuna, ko Rakauheketara te whare kai, ko Rangitihi te Marae.
Rangitihi Marae is the principal marae of Ngāti Rangitihi and its hapu, Ngāti Mahi and Ngāti Tionga. It is the heart of our iwi and centre of our community in Matatā. Prior to 1928, Rangitihi Marae was located on Lot 5, Arawa Street in Matatā. It was known then as Tionga Marae. In the late 1880s Ngāti Mahi renovated Tionga Marae, replacing the thatch with an iron roof and the raupo wall panels with sawn timber. But, in 1928 a tornado lifted up the ancestral meeting house and carried it to its present location on Marae Lane. That same year, the whare tupuna or ancestral house was named after Rangiaohia, one of the eponymous ancestor Rangitihi's eight children (ngā pū manawa e waru - the eight beating hearts). Rangiaohia's son Mahi married Rangitihikahira, whose father is another of Rangitihi's eight children, Apumoana. From this union came six children who are the common tupuna of Ngāti Rangitihi. The history of Ngāti Rangitihi is evident within the carvings of the pou haki that stands immediately beside the whare tupuna, Rangiaohia. It is also depicted on the Tamatekapua whare tupuna at Te Papaiouru Marae in Rotorua. In 2011, Marae facilities were improved through a Marae DIY project.
To book the Marae, please contact Api Perenara on 0274309196 or 073222941